Friday, February 27, 2009

Farewell, Maggie May...

It is with a sad heart that I say a final goodbye to Maggie May, as she died on Thursday, February 26th after a short and sudden illness. Some of my fondest TAGS memories are of Maggie. She and I came into the program around the same time in January '03. All of Maggie's new puppies quickly found their forever homes, but Maggie was still waiting.

As it turns out, her foster home ended up being her forever home, and I know she could not have been more loved than she was with her foster mom, Sandra. She often told me about the things this funny little dog would do. Maggie liked to sleep under the blankets, but not for too long because she would get too hot. She also liked to steal toys from her fellow foster dogs and then taunt them with the toys to initiate a game of keep away. I always thought that Maggie was a bit a of a clown - I know she loved the attention.

I know that what many people saw when they looked at her was a stockily built, brindle coloured "pit-bull type" of dog, but I always saw a charismatic, vivacious, energetic, spunky, sweet, wiggly, and lovable dog that truly had a zest for life. I remember the sheer joy on her face as she ran around the dog park heedless of obstacles like benches or trees. She had such an expressive face that it was easy to tell when she was happy. She was misunderstood by some I'm sure, but those of us who knew her, loved her, and we feel her loss.

Maggie May, you will be remembered, and you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment on any of the topics listed on this blog.

Blogging tips